Alert with a grouped field (user) and a further grouping (country) which is counted

Hello,

I was trying to figure out how to create an alert if a user has logged in from more than 1 country in 2 hours.

This would need to group the field “user”, then inside of that result a further grouping on the field “ip_address_country_code”, so that I can count the differenct countries.

For example with log entries like these:

user: smith, ip_address_country_code: US
user: smith, ip_address_country_code: UK
user: smith, ip_address_country_code: UK

user: brown, ip_address_country_code: DE
user: brown, ip_address_country_code: DE
user: brown, ip_address_country_code: ES

user: jones: ip_address_country_code: MX

The user “smith” has logged in from 2 countries → alert
The user “brown” has logged in from 2 countries → alert
The user “jones” has logged in from 1 country → no alert

I’ve also tried the Airbus Plugin “Aggregation Count Alert Condition” (GitHub - airbus-cyber/graylog-plugin-aggregation-count: Alert condition plugin for Graylog to perform aggregation), but that don’t cover what I wanted. I can group fields and also have a distinction field, but that counts a field like ip_address_country_code with values US, US, US, UK, UK as 5 countries.

Does somebody have an idea how so solve that problem?

Thanks very much in advance,
Robert

@robertbln
I believe this can be done with regular expression (regex) or GROK pattern to create the fields needed
and pipeline to sort things out. I totally get what you want to do and I havent done this with the free version of Graylog, but I think Graylog Enterprise version might be able to do this for you with less work.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.