Adding include filter to datdog metric sends all metrics and seems to make no difference

(Kishore) #1

Hi,

We’re currently using the Datadog metrics reporter. It’s working fine but we wanted to filter the number of metrics it sends to Graylog. I tried doing that by adding the following line to Graylog config:

metrics_datadog_include_metrics = org.graylog2.shared.journal.KafkaJournal.uncommittedMessages

However, when I added this line and restarted the Graylog server, the filtering did not kick in. All Graylog metrics were sent to Datadog, while I expected only uncommittedMessages to be sent. I tried this one one more host with the same result.

I’ve only 2 other metrics related configuration:

metrics_datadog_enabled = true
metrics_datadog_transport = UDP

I am using the follwing JAR which does seem to contain the code required for metric filtering: https://github.com/graylog-labs/graylog-plugin-metrics-reporter/releases/download/2.4.0-beta.3/metrics-reporter-datadog-2.4.0-beta.3.jar

Any input on what could be going wrong is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kishore.

(Jan Doberstein) #2

the metric you are looking for is org.graylog2.journal.entries-uncommitted on each node to get the nodes journal.

(Kishore) #3

@jan I see the org.graylog2.shared.journal.KafkaJournal.uncommittedMessages metric being reported to Datadog, and it’s defined here in code as well:

In any case, I just tried using the configuration you suggested, but again, all other metrics are being reported as well. Basically, the filtering does not seem to be working at all.

(Jan Doberstein) #4

This might be a bug - does it happen too if you select two values and not just one? Or if you select org.graylog2.shared.*

Would be nice to get a detailed bug report over at: https://github.com/graylog-labs/graylog-plugin-metrics-reporter/issues

(Kishore) #5

Thanks, I’ve posted an issue since I observe the same problem with a filter involving a wildcard too:

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.