4.1 Upgrade Using Yum

I’m trying to upgrade Graylog to the latest stable release v4.1.5. I’m using:
sudo yum update graylog-server
…but it doesn’t seem to want to jump me up to 4.1.x. It thinks I’m on the latest version:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:18:49 ago on Tue 05 Apr 2022 07:44:38 PM UTC.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

How can I get this installation to jump from v4.x to v4.1?

Thanks.

Operating system information

CentOS Stream release 8

Package versions

• Graylog 4.0.15
  • MongoDB 4.2.14
  • Elasticsearch 7.10.2

Thank you.

Hello @danmassa7
I’ll try to make this easy for ya :+1:

First of all The latest package is Graylog-4.2.7, If this is what you want then the following will work for ya.

NOTE: Make sure you have backups of your configuration file.

So, what I’ll try to do is sum it up on how to upgrade Graylog.
Here are the steps I execute in order.

1.Before Upgrading make sure your system is fully updated, try not to use the Y flag incase you see a package updating that may affect you system (i.e. Elasticsearch, MongoDb, etc…)

NOTE: Check to insure Elasticsearch/MongoDb packages Do Not exceed the requirements

yum update

2.Stop graylog service before you upgrade.

systemctl stop graylog-server

3.Install new Graylog 4.2 package.

rpm -Uvh https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/packages/graylog-4.2-repository_latest.rpm

4.Make sure your repository cache is clean from Old version of Graylog.

yum clean all

5.Perform Graylog upgrade

yum upgrade graylog-server

6.If upgrade command doesn’t work you can use the following also.

yum install graylog-server

NOTE: At this point make SURE you have the correct Graylog Configuration file (server.conf) , some settings have changed in the newer versions. To insure you have the correct server.conf there should be a file called server.conf.rpmnew in the Graylog directory ( /etc/graylog/).

7.This may not pertain to you but I though I would Highlight it incase. Check the permission on Graylog directories.

ls -al /etc/graylog

8.Once everything is done I started Graylog service

systemctl start graylog-server

9.Now TAIL Graylog file and look for errors, warnings, etc… Sometimes the error’s are not at the end of the log file.

tail -f /var/log/graylog-server/server.log

10.Last step :smiley:
Make sure you refresh you browser and you should be done.

HowTo Upgrade Graylog to a Major Version

1 Like

Thanks. Couple of questions:

1. The Overview page on Graylog says v4.1.5 is the current stable version. I like stability. :slight_smile:
    What should I adjust in your instructions to upgrade to v4.1.5?
  2. What is the “Y” flag? How do I not use it?
  3. What is the URL that describes compatible versions of MongoDB and ElasticSearch for Graylog v4.1.5? Probably there are release notes somewhere that describe these requirements?

Thanks.

Hello,

What I did was place links to Graylog documentation, this way the answers to your question/s will
have a clearer explanation.

You may need to look at this documentation

This would help here.

Define the use of the Y flag.

• With -y option, yum will install specified package along with its dependent package without asking for confirmation.
  • Without -y option, yum will show information related to specified package and its dependent packages and will ask for confirmation to install.

This documentation is a good explanation

Hope that helps

I forgot to add this link for repos,

Hope that helps

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.