Setting up email for alerts

having this issue, using gmail. Could it be that if I change to office365 it’d work?

my config:

transport_email_enabled = true
transport_email_hostname = smtp.gmail.com
transport_email_port = 587
transport_email_use_auth = true
transport_email_use_tls = true
transport_email_use_ssl = false
transport_email_auth_username = email
transport_email_auth_password = password
transport_email_subject_prefix = [graylog]
transport_email_from_email = graylog@example.com

My Error is: An error occurred while trying to send an email! (triggered 9 minutes ago)
The Graylog server encountered an error while trying to send an email. This is the detailed error message: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:587 (com.sun.mail.util.MailConnectException: Couldn’t connect to host, port: smtp.gmail.com, 587; timeout 60000; nested exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out)

Tried to telnet to smtp.gmail.com 587 but nothing

I don’t know if this will solve your issue but in “transport_email_from_email =”, I used the same address that is in “transport_email_auth_username =”.

Also is there any firewall that can block the outgoing traffic?

thanks for the response, I had changed that to the auth email but still nothing. I too think it might the firewall blocking outgoing traffic.

Try to test the destination port with a tool, no doubt after that.

nc -zv smtp.gmail.com 587

(Jan Doberstein) #5

just search in this community - How to send email alerts using Gmail - should guide you.

Hey,
So, I’ve been speaking to my IT team because initially I believed we had to use the company’s mail server. So we have been working on that, but I am still getting error. This is the error we I am currently getting:

The Graylog server encountered an error while trying to send an email. This is the detailed error message: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.intra.COMPANY.local:25 (com.sun.mail.util.MailConnectException: Couldn’t connect to host, port: smtp.intra.COMPANY.local, 25; timeout 60000; nested exception is: java.net.UnknownHostException: smtp.intra.COMPANY.local)

Firewall is configured, and it worked at system level. I believe it could be on the application end. Does anybody have a clue of what it might be?

(Jan Doberstein) #7

you should check if the name and port are correct:

Couldn’t connect to host, port: smtp.intra.COMPANY.local, 25;

Thanks for replying. Yes, it is correct.

(Jan Doberstein) #9

something between the Graylog System (master) and the Mailserver then is blocking the access. That is the error message.

How could I go on about checking this?
As far as I know the graylog server to mail server connectivity is fine:

root@RSH-TEST-GRLOG:/etc/graylog/server# telnet IP 25

Trying IP...

Connected to IP.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 S-EXCH-HYB02.intra.COMPANY.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Fri, 28 Sep 2018 11:20:43 +0100

Apparently, I just fixed that issue. It came back to this other issue:

The Graylog server encountered an error while trying to send an email. This is the detailed error message: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : IP:PORT (javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful )

I have whitelisted everything necessary.

(Jan Doberstein) #12

535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful

you provided the wrong user or password

the user and password is correct though.

(Jan Doberstein) #14

that is something I can’t check - I only interpret the systems error message. You are the only person that can verify and solve this.

(system) #15

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.