Removing trailing dot from FQDN value

I’m working on a pipeline rule on a Graylog 4 box that uses a lookup table to essentially convert an IP address to a fully-qualified hostname (FQDN). The actual lookup works perfectly but the result has a dot on the end. While this may be technically accurate from a DNS perspective, it’s not what I want. How do I remove the trailing dot so that “somehost.example.com.” to just “somehost.example.com”? I tried using regex and I couldn’t get it working.

Suggestions are very welcome!!!

Hello @jbailey

correct me if im wrong, you configured a pipeline rule to use a lookup table and there is a dot at the end of FQDN?

Does you pipeline look something similar to this?

rule " lookup: src_ip"

when

has_field("src_ip")

then

let fqdn_source = lookup("fqdn", to_string($message.src_ip));

set_field("src_name",fqdn_source);
end

If so, double check you lookup table config & csv file if your using that.

This is my rule:

rule "Security > TACACS Client"
when
    has_field("tacacs_client")
then
    let hostname = lookup_value("dns-lookup", to_string($message.tacacs_client));
    set_field("tacacs_client_hostname", hostname);

end

I extract the IP from a log in an earlier processing stage. The lookup table does a reverse DNS lookup on the IP and grabs the FQDN, but adds a dot.

If you only want to remove the last letter of whatever string I can recommend the substring()-function

substring(value: string, start: long, [end: long])

Returns a substring of value starting at the start offset (zero-based indices), optionally ending at the end offset. Both offsets can be negative, indicating positions relative to the end of value.

Your rule could look like this:

when
then
    hostname = substring(value:hostname, start:0, end:-1) 

end
2 Likes

This is a great approach but the line as you had it threw errors in the rule editor.

This is what I have now – no errors, but its not setting the field either:

when
then
    let hostname = substring(to_string(hostname), 0, -1);
end
1 Like

your field tacacs_client is set properly, but the field tacacs_client_hostname is missing? Did you try to manualy test your value from tacacs_client in the lookuptable?

It’s working correctly now. My lookup table had been renamed and that naturally broke things. Now that I corrected that, the rule (with your suggested fix) is working as expected.

Thanks for the tip!

That sounds great. Please mark your solution for others :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.