Remove prefix in fieldnames

Hi guys,

I am currently started to working with CEF logs from FortiOS/Fortigate. Many of the fieldnames starting with FTNTFGT as prefix. I want to rename the fieldnames and delete the prefix.

example:
FTNTFGTdst_host → dst_host
FTNTFGTtunnelid → tunnelid

• Fortigate adding sometimes new fields, so it would be great if that’s “update-safe” maybe with regex?

I guess using the pipelines is the right way. Any suggestions for the right approach?

My old way is to not use CEF and use straight regex as extractors buts consuming a lot of cpu power :-/

Thanks in advance

Pipelines are more efficient with regex plus you can narrow where the cleanup rule happens to only be messages that have FTNTFGT in them, then have a follow on stage work on breaking out fields. Best thought I can come up with.

Hello && Welcome @admin86
I agree with @tmacgbay Pipeline /w regex is the way to go Im trying to clean up my extractors into one Pipeline.

We have a range of FortiGate firewalls (60, 80 100 200). What I have is REGEX extractors
Here are a few of them.

Example of regex Extractor.

EDIT:

By default FortiGate sends Syslog’s, can I ask why you want to change them to CEF?

I was labbing this out just with regex
FortiGate Logs both CEF and Syslog log types.

Following is an example log in CEF:

Feb 12 10:31:04 syslog-800c CEF:0|Fortinet|Fortigate|v5.6.0|37127|event:vpn negotiate success|3|FTNTFGTlogid=0101037127

Following is an example of my FG logs in Syslog :

<189>date=2022-06-27 time=18:26:52 devname=“gregs_pc” devid=“FGT60D8675309” logid=“0101037127” type=“traffic” subtype=“local”

As for pipeline you may need to specify each regular expression, also try looking into “lookup tables”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.