Regular expression ignored in search

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
I have a long field in which I want to search if an event was created by zoom. Basically the field looks like this:
vendor_event_description
start_time: [632258010202], event_id: [xxxxx], organizer_calendar_id: [email@example.com], calendar_id: [email2@example.com], target_calendar_id: [email2example.com], event_title: [testing / testing event], user_agent: [zoom], app_name: [zoom]

I am trying to search within this field if the user agent or the app name is zoom. I tried the f

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
    Debian 10

• Package Version:
    Graylog 4.2.4+b643d2

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
I have tried searching with:
/zoom/
/(?i)zoom/
(?i)(zoom)
zoom
vendor_event_description:zoom
vendor_event_description:/zoom/
vendor_event_description:/(?i)zoom/
vendor_event_description:(?i)zoom

None of these produce any results. Can I not search a whole field with regular expressions? Or am I missing something?

4. How can the community help?
Help me understand how I can find whether a field contains a specific phrase when searching.

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

I ran a test on my server and interestingly I can find it with regex:

/.*zoom.*/

The only explanation I can think of is that usually all that field data is broken up before ingestion and the search engine is inefficient with all the special characters like commas brackets and slashes.

Thank you very much, that did it and worked great.

It’s not the most efficient of searches but if it works… Could you mark the solution for future searchers?

If you wanted to be more efficient about it, you could break out the field into it’s constituent parts you are interested in so that you can specifically search against a field for the word zoom. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.