Indices & Index configuration

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for the help,

I have a basic question but i didn’t get it after reading the documentation online.
I’ve just realized that I’m using only 17% of my memory’s server where graylog is running.
For the moment, graylog is working with the initial configuration :
Max docs per index: 20000000 / Max number of indices:16

My first idea to use at least 80% of that memory is to put “max_number_of_indices” at 80.
But maybe I can also change de “max_docs_per_index” parameter, … or something else ?
I really don’t know ! If someone needed the same kind of changement from the initial configuration file, let me know
Thank you again
Guillaume

How many indices You have now?

I’m already using the 16 indices (the max number in my configuration file) so I can’t have more than 320 000 000 messages and use more than 17% of memory

Why don’t you use the Index Size as an option?

We have it this way. It is more comfortable for us.

Edit: As an example for a big index file: 18.9GB / 20,632,306 messages

Oh ! Could be another good option sure …
And what is the best choice ? A high “max_index_size” value ? A high “max_number_of_indices” value ? A mix ?
Thanks again

Edit : for example, with 30 indices max as your own configuration, I need an index size at 40GB each, i don’t know

You might want to have a look at this blog post from 2016.

I found it last year. There are interesting aspects for sizing the Graylog system.

1 Like

Oh thanks again !! It has been really usefull, I think I will use a higher max number of indices with a “max index size” value instead of “max docs per index”
Thks ! All the best

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.