Graylog-server.service fails to start / no logs

Fresh install of Graylog 4.0.1 cluster on Centos 8.3.2011 with MongoDB 4.4.2 replica set (on same hosts) and ElasticSearch 7.10.1-1 cluster (separate hosts).

Every time I try systemctl start graylog-server.service , I get the same message.

ā— graylog-server.service - Graylog server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/graylog-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-12-22 22:55:05 CST; 1s ago
Docs: http://docs.graylog.org/
Process: 4436 ExecStart=/usr/share/graylog-server/bin/graylog-server (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 4436 (code=exited, status=127)

There are no files in the /var/log/graylog-server/ directory and Iā€™m not sure what to look for any of the other logs.
All file locations have been left as default in the config.
I have double checked and changed my password_secret and root_password_sha2 a couple times and verified they have no special characters in them.

Any other troubleshooting I can do to figure out why graylog-server.service fails to start? Sorry, pretty new to linux also.

@ghstmnon3rd You can check your server log (/var/log/messages), which might give you some traces of an issue, and also check your Graylog server configuration file, which might have an issue with starting the Graylog service.

I hope this will helps you. :slight_smile:

@makarands These were the droids (logs) I was looking for. Of course I missed Java on the one server I was using as a master and the first config of the bunch. Installed and everything popped right up. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.