Graylog Architecture and Setup

I have setup Graylog cluster (3 HOST) in docker and it’s running perfectly fine
32GB RAM for each host
4 CORE for each host
1.5 TB each host

i am expecting more than 100 application logs in graylog cluster in future, so I have central graylog for logging. my question is

• per day I am expecting 120 GB logs per day in future so the current architecture is fine .

• Retention time will be 30 days so 120GB*30= 3600 GB logs, is 3 server enough to handle that much of load (after adding additional disk space).

Graylog heap size

GRAYLOG_SERVER_1_GL_HEAP="-Xms2g -Xmx4g"
    GRAYLOG_SERVER_2_GL_HEAP="-Xms2g -Xmx4g"
    GRAYLOG_SERVER_3_GL_HEAP="-Xms2g -Xmx4g"

Elasticsearch heap size

GRAYLOG_SERVER_1_ES_HEAP=“16g”
    GRAYLOG_SERVER_2_ES_HEAP=“16g”
    GRAYLOG_SERVER_3_ES_HEAP=“16g”

I’ve run 10TB worth elastic indices in retention on a single server + Graylog with slightly higher specs than listed. I wouldn’t recommend doing that, but it’s possible.
You should be fine with the specs listed.

How much logs you are getting per day in single graylog setup and what is the retention time in your graylog ?

it was a test environment, but around 300million events / 250GB a day if I remember correctly. was retaining for 30 days

Another question related to Architecture.

All application running in docker container and sending logs via logstash GELF UDP. i wanted to make graylog available 24x7. so my question is

• What if network brake between logstash and Load Balancer. can we set up some buffer system in logstash to save log until the network is available again.

• Current log entries is 40 Million logs per day so what if network is not available for 6 hours and where i can store this 10 Millions logs ?

• can we use kafka but again the question remain the same for network outage

your question is more logstash specific …

… but logstash has no buffer, if logstash can’t push messages somewhere this messages are lost. You can place some buffers like kafka or AMQP in the network but if that is not reachable for logstash again, messages are lost.

Theoretically, you could direct the logstash logs to the local syslog, so as to use it as a transfer point. It can do what you want:

$ActionQueueFileName fwdRule1 # unique name prefix for spool files
$ActionQueueMaxDiskSpace 1g   # 1gb space limit (use as much as possible)
$ActionQueueSaveOnShutdown on # save messages to disk on shutdown
$ActionQueueType LinkedList   # run asynchronously
$ActionResumeRetryCount -1    # infinite retries if host is down

But I’m not sure, if Syslog can receive GELF messages in reality.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.