Graylog alerting per unique message

Hi,

I am trying to setup alerting in graylog. Setup:

client (timestamp) --------> server (eventReceived) ---------> Graylog.

Timestamp and eventreceived times can differ up to 1h or even longer if a client has connectivity issues. Graylog alerting by default compares timestamp and the time range in the alert setting. Currently I set it to 30 minutes to captures most events however I have another issue, if another event fires from any client or even the same client, a new alert will not be fired up. That new event will fall under the same alert with no new notification.

Is there a way to alert on every unique message in the stream disregarding timestamps?

you could use the processing pipelines to identify a message you want to alert on and route that then into a stream. the alerting rule on that stream fires if messages are in the stream.

that’s the way how i would solve this.

Routing to a stream is not an issue, it is done properly. However “message count” alerting in graylog seems to be periodic only thus if I set it to 0, it will send an alert with all current messages in the stream (new + old), if I set something more than 0, it will not send alerts as it sees that my messages come in late, out of that evaluation period. I could overwrite the timestamp with the received to graylog time, but it seems rather dirty.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.