Deflector exists as an index and is not an alias - getting this error on 3.0 version

I have install graylog on my server with following components version on CentOS 7 64bit

graylog-server 3.0 (2.3 & 2.4 was throwing strange rpm error)
elasticsearch 5.x
mongo-db 3.4

I have configured input syslog 5514 port and its running.

But i am getting error “Deflector exists as an index and is not an alias”, i can see my test syslog messages going in index" but i can’t search any logs or do anything.

I have google everywhere and found many many post with same error message and i have tried every single steps but none of them help me.

I have tried this article also but no luck: http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.4/pages/faq.html#how-do-i-fix-the-deflector-exists-as-an-index-and-is-not-an-alias-error-message

I have upgrade elasticsearch to 6.x also but they didn’t help me too, at this point i am just frustrated and no idea what and where stuff is broken…

Please help me to debug this issue because that error doesn’t explaining anything.

simple follow the steps in:

http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.4/pages/faq.html#how-do-i-fix-the-deflector-exists-as-an-index-and-is-not-an-alias-error-message

That is the solution.

You know that 3.0 is pre-release and not created for production - right? The stable release is 2.4.6 (at the time of writing this)

3.0 was under stable branch so I thought its good to have latest software and I pick that up.

I tried to downgrade and end up tons of error but anyway I will rekick box.

Do you have any preference on elasticsearch version? Or mongodb?

Where was 3.0 listed as stable? Could you please give me the point.

We have covered everything in the documentation: http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.4/pages/installation/operating_system_packages.html#step-by-step-guides

Just follow the step-by-step guides and you will have a stable running system.

Here you go! what is wrong here, it’s just installing 3.0, even i don’t have repo configured for 3.0, i did yum clean too

also this URL is broken, page not found: https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/el/stable/2.4/$basearch/

[root@graylog ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/graylog.repo
[graylog]
name=graylog
baseurl=https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/el/stable/2.4/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
repo_gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-graylog
[root@graylog ~]#
[root@graylog ~]#
[root@graylog ~]#
[root@graylog ~]# yum install graylog-server
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
base                                                                                                                                                          | 3.6 kB  00:00:00
elasticsearch-5.x                                                                                                                                             | 1.3 kB  00:00:00
epel/x86_64/metalink                                                                                                                                          |  16 kB  00:00:00
epel                                                                                                                                                          | 3.2 kB  00:00:00
extras                                                                                                                                                        | 3.4 kB  00:00:00
mongodb-org-3.4                                                                                                                                               | 2.5 kB  00:00:00
updates                                                                                                                                                       | 3.4 kB  00:00:00
(1/9): elasticsearch-5.x/primary                                                                                                                              | 148 kB  00:00:00
(2/9): base/7/x86_64/group_gz                                                                                                                                 | 166 kB  00:00:00
(3/9): epel/x86_64/group_gz                                                                                                                                   |  88 kB  00:00:00
(4/9): epel/x86_64/updateinfo                                                                                                                                 | 932 kB  00:00:00
(5/9): epel/x86_64/primary                                                                                                                                    | 3.6 MB  00:00:00
(6/9): mongodb-org-3.4/7/primary_db                                                                                                                           |  73 kB  00:00:00
(7/9): extras/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                                                             | 204 kB  00:00:00
(8/9): base/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                                                               | 5.9 MB  00:00:01
(9/9): updates/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                                                                            | 6.0 MB  00:00:02
Determining fastest mirrors
 * base: mirror.fileplanet.com
 * epel: mirror.metrocast.net
 * extras: mirror.ash.fastserv.com
 * updates: mirror.oss.ou.edu
elasticsearch-5.x                                                                                                                                                            386/386
epel                                                                                                                                                                     12742/12742
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package graylog-server.noarch 0:3.0.0-2.alpha.2 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=====================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                        Arch                                   Version                                         Repository                               Size
=====================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 graylog-server                                 noarch                                 3.0.0-2.alpha.2                                 graylog                                  92 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 92 M
Installed size: 103 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: n

never mind, after modifying repo file to following it work, look like something was cached somewhere

[graylog-foo]
name=graylog-foo
baseurl=https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/el/stable/2.4/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
repo_gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-graylog

Anyway now i am seeing no error and looks good and i sending some logs from Cisco switches but they are not showing up in search does graylog takes some time to process logs or its realtime?

after google i found you need to change timestamp because graylog use UTS and my all switches use EST so this is what i did in server.conf file

root_timezone = America/New_York

now in System/Overview i can see timestamp in EST but still not processing logs what else i should check?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.