Creating Content Packs

Dear All,

Can someone point me towards some guidance on how to build content packs please?

Jake

1 Like

You can export content packs based on your current Graylog cluster on the System/Content Packs page by clicking on Create a content pack.

HI Jochen,

I have several custom dashboards connected to pipeline connected to streams that I want to export from one system and import to another.

I have tried exporting the dashboards via the API and then tried to re-import them but noticed that I need to add fields to the JSON.

So I was looking for a resource to explain how to build content packs containing streams and dashboards as well as whether pipeline could be included.

Cheers

Jake

Do you have some examples?

Creating content packs via the System/Content Packs page is currently the only supported way of creating content packs.

Pipelines can currently not be part of content packs. This will likely change in Graylog 3.0.0:

HI Jochen,

Created a test dashboard with one widget.

Get a list of dashboards id’s via API
Get content of single test dash board via API using id
Delete dashboard
Try to restore using API , it fails showing it is missing some required fields.

The json output from the API is

{
  "creator_user_id": "admin",
  "description": "Dashboard to test resotre via api",
  "created_at": "2018-01-10T14:11:25.568Z",
  "positions": {
    "138e4814-8557-4402-89d0-c6b09cf97f94": {
      "width": 1,
      "col": 1,
      "row": 1,
      "height": 3
    }
  },
  "id": "5a561f0d0061f404694f9aa5",
  "title": "Test",
  "widgets": [
    {
      "cache_time": 10,
      "description": "Sysmon Events 24h",
      "id": "138e4814-8557-4402-89d0-c6b09cf97f94",
      "type": "QUICKVALUES",
      "config": {
        "timerange": {
          "type": "relative",
          "range": 86400
        },
        "field": "sysmon_event_id",
        "stream_id": "5a5392430061f42d271a703d",
        "query": "",
        "show_data_table": true,
        "limit": 5,
        "show_pie_chart": false,
        "sort_order": "desc",
        "stacked_fields": "",
        "data_table_limit": 50
      }
    }
  ]
}

Next I tried looking at other content packs to see structure and modified the json to

{
  "id" : null,
  "name" : "Test Content Pack",
  "description" : "Dashboards - Single Test",
  "category" : "Test",
  "inputs" : [ ],
  "streams" : [ ],
  "outputs" : [ ],
  "dashboards" : [ {
    "title" : "Test Restore",
	"description": "Dashboard to test resotre via api",
	"created_at": "2018-01-10T14:11:25.568Z",
	"positions": {
		"138e4814-8557-4402-89d0-c6b09cf97f94": {
		"width": 1,
		"col": 1,
		"row": 1,
		"height": 3
		}
	},
	"id": "5a561f0d0061f404694f9aa5",
	"widgets": [
		{
		"cache_time": 10,
		"description": "Sysmon Events 24h",
		"id": "138e4814-8557-4402-89d0-c6b09cf97f94",
		"type": "QUICKVALUES",
		"config": {
		"timerange": {
          "type": "relative",
          "range": 86400
        },
        "field": "sysmon_event_id",
        "stream_id": "5a5392430061f42d271a703d",
        "query": "",
        "show_data_table": true,
        "limit": 5,
        "show_pie_chart": false,
        "sort_order": "desc",
        "stacked_fields": "",
        "data_table_limit": 50
		}
    }
  ]
}
]
}

The above json is valid according to JSON lint

but graylog looks to expect a title at line 49

{
  "type": "ApiError",
  "message": "Can not construct instance of org.graylog2.rest.models.dashboards.requests.CreateDashboardRequest, problem: Null title\n at [Source: org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.ReaderInterceptorExecutor$UnCloseableInputStream@64bc727e; line: 49, column: 1]"
}

graylog-api-2

It looks like I might need some information on the expected structure of the JSON elements to solve this as it should be possible to import and export dashboard and streams and then combine them in a JSON content pack

Cheers

Jake

I think you’ve mixed up a few things.

The content packs (or part of the content packs) are not compatible with the payload you have to use with the Graylog REST API to create a dashboard.

You have to import the content pack and apply it, if you want to restore the streams and dashboards in another Graylog cluster.

Hi Jochen,

So are we saying that if you use the API on graylog system ‘1’ to export dashboard ‘A’ you cant use the API on system 2 with the Manage Dashboards POST method to add the dashboard?

Jake

No, that’s not at all what I’m saying.

But you’ve copied parts of a content pack, which is not compatible with the resource in the Graylog REST API which can be used to create dashboards.

Hi Jochen,

My idea behind using the content pack parts was that if I can’t restore dashboards directly via API from one system to another, then I would try to use a content pack containing a single dashboard and restore that way as a basic proof of concept. If I could get it to work then I would add streams etc.

I was attempting to create a content pack skeleton ( ie all the necessary fields left blank) with just the dashboard in it. This would allow me to move dashboards from customer to customer without having to rebuild each one each time.

Ideally, I would like to build a test system to prove use cases / dashboards and then move dashboards, streams and pipelines to production systems.

What is the best way to achieve this?

Regards

Jake

Use content packs and their appropriate API.

Hi Jochen,

How do I create a content pack from within graylog?

I have at least 3 custom dashboards and multiple streams with pipeline rules.

How do I create the content pack with the API?

Magneton

Take a look at the /system/bundles resource in the Graylog REST API browser (Swagger).

Hi Jochen,

So we use:

GET /system/bundles to get a list of bundle id’s and then use GET /system/bundles/{bundleId} to get a content pack for that id.

We can then import the content pack to Graylog using POST/system/bundles or Graylog UI?

What is the difference between the above and POST /system/bundles/export (list entities to export) ?

Is POST /system/bundles/export able to export a whole configuration (Streams, Dashboard,Input etc) where as GET /system/bundles/{bundleId} exports just a single item.

Should I use POST /system/bundles/export to export whole configuration to import into new Graylog?

Cheers

Jake

You should think of content packs as templates which describe entities (inputs, extractors, streams, dashboards, etc.).

You can “apply” a content pack multiple times, which would create the described entities multiple times. This was a design decision when we planned to introduce parameters for content packs at some point.

If you want to create a new content pack, you have to use POST /system/bundles/export and describe the entities it should contain in the request body (basically list their IDs, see ExportBundle).

HTTP method Resource Description
POST /system/bundles Upload new content pack.
GET /system/bundles List available content packs.
GET /system/bundles/{bundleId} Show content pack with ID {bundleId}.
PUT /system/bundles/{bundleId} Update content pack with ID {bundleId}.
DELETE /system/bundles/{bundleId} Delete content pack with ID {bundleId} (but don’t delete any entities which have been created from this content pack).
POST /system/bundles/{bundleId} Set up entities described by content pack with ID {bundleId}.
POST /system/bundles/export Export entities listed in request body as a new content pack.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.