Active write Index rotation not working in Graylog 2.3.2-1

(AT@Austin) #1

Using the default values for index set (see attached screenshot) does not auto-rotate index set. I have to manually click “rotate active write index”. Am I missing any configuration for managing auto-rotation of indexes?

Thanks!

(Jan Doberstein) #2

did you are facing any errors in the server.log of Graylog during the time when you expect the rotation to be done?

(AT@Austin) #3

Thanks for your response. It appears around 19 million messages (documents) ES starts to fail. I reduced the message count to 15 million and that worked. At least one rotation successfully executed. I will continue to monitor this over the next few days and report back.

(Jochen) #4

Make sure to check the logs of your Elasticsearch and Graylog nodes for errors and warnings.
:arrow_right: http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.3/pages/configuration/file_location.html

(AT@Austin) #5

Thanks! I am using docker 17.09-ce on centos 7.3+

I use the docker setup and after trying to docker exec into the graylog’s container, I get the following error -

Error response from daemon: Cannot link to a non running container: /elasticsearch AS /graylog/elasticsearch

I was able to docker exe into the elastic search container without issues but I could not find any logs under /var/log.

Also, I set the message count to 17 million and it was unable to rotate the index. So for now, I have reset it to 15 million to see if that works again.

Any help with the graylog container logs would be much appreciated. I reviewed the logs link you sent and none of those logs exist under graylog

Thanks!
Atul

(Jochen) #6

The official Elasticsearch and Graylog Docker images write their logs on stdout and can be accessed via the normal means of accessing Docker container logs.

(AT@Austin) #7

Ah - thanks - I see disk out of space errors. So assuming 17 million is too many documents per index. I have set it to 15 million. Let’s see if indexes get deleted after 20 indexes over the next week.

Thanks again!

(Jochen) #8

You could also use the size-based rotation strategy to fit the available disk space.

(AT@Austin) #9

Thanks!

Looks like the device is out of space issue is across sum of all indexes (active and archived) and it is limited to 20 million records. We have 400+ GB left on the host. We use docker, so what do I need to do to allow 20 archived indexes each with 15 million records?

This is displayed when I try to view a stream.

{"error":{"root_cause":[],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[]},"status":503}

Here are the ES logs

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_141]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_141]
[2017-12-07T02:31:37,228][WARN ][o.e.g.MetaStateService   ] [p_BflMm] [[.triggered_watches/v7_Ise_lT_u7gb-dKJ2ljw]]: failed to write index state
java.nio.file.FileSystemException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/data/nodes/0/indices/v7_Ise_lT_u7gb-dKJ2ljw/_state/state-12.st.tmp: No space left on device
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:91) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:214) ~[?:?]
	at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newOutputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:434) ~[?:1.8.0_141]
	at java.nio.file.Files.newOutputStream(Files.java:216) ~[?:1.8.0_141]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.MetaDataStateFormat.write(MetaDataStateFormat.java:124) ~[elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.MetaStateService.writeIndex(MetaStateService.java:132) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.GatewayMetaState.applyClusterState(GatewayMetaState.java:179) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.Gateway.applyClusterState(Gateway.java:183) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.callClusterStateAppliers(ClusterService.java:814) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.publishAndApplyChanges(ClusterService.java:768) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.runTasks(ClusterService.java:587) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService$ClusterServiceTaskBatcher.run(ClusterService.java:263) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:569) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:247) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:210) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_141]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_141]
[2017-12-07T02:31:37,229][WARN ][o.e.g.MetaStateService   ] [p_BflMm] [[.watcher-history-3-2017.12.07/Xy_cO2KRRrKLa2qYXrIrHQ]]: failed to write index state
java.nio.file.FileSystemException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/data/nodes/0/indices/Xy_cO2KRRrKLa2qYXrIrHQ/_state/state-5.st.tmp: No space left on device
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:91) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107) ~[?:?]
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:214) ~[?:?]
	at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newOutputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:434) ~[?:1.8.0_141]
	at java.nio.file.Files.newOutputStream(Files.java:216) ~[?:1.8.0_141]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.MetaDataStateFormat.write(MetaDataStateFormat.java:124) ~[elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.MetaStateService.writeIndex(MetaStateService.java:132) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.GatewayMetaState.applyClusterState(GatewayMetaState.java:179) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.gateway.Gateway.applyClusterState(Gateway.java:183) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.callClusterStateAppliers(ClusterService.java:814) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.publishAndApplyChanges(ClusterService.java:768) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.runTasks(ClusterService.java:587) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService$ClusterServiceTaskBatcher.run(ClusterService.java:263) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:569) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:247) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:210) [elasticsearch-5.5.1.jar:5.5.1]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_141]

(Jochen) #10

But obviously not in the Docker container running Elasticsearch…

(system) #11

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.