Server configuration - password creation commands

Looks like the password creation commands need some love on this page: https://docs.graylog.org/docs/server-conf

**** Please double check that I am correct!

This:
node_id_file = /etc/graylog/server/<node-id>
Should be this:
node_id_file = /etc/graylog/server/node-id

This:
echo -n "Enter Password: " && head -1 </dev/stdin | tr -d '\n' | sha256sum | cut -d" " -f1
Should be:
echo -n "Enter Password: " && head -1 </dev/stdin | tr -d '\n' | sha256sum | cut -d" " -f1

1 Like

Thanks @tmacgbay. Both of your corrections are correct. I just fixed them. Take care.

Addendum: the node_id_file path should reference a particular value in the path /etc/graylog/server/<node-id>. So, I’m using <node-id> as the proper way to suggest readers must substitute the value in angle brackets with appropriate value.

@dulanism - In my configuration below, the node-id file contains the actual node ID. If it’s <node-id>, it’s not clear what the actual file name should be or reference back to… maybe it should note where it references back to in the description below? at least that’s the way I see it. Maybe there is a configuration point I am missing?

glusr@HGS-77:~$ ls -l /etc/graylog/server/
total 108
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1930 Apr  7  2021 log4j2.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    37 Mar 25  2019 node-id
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31743 Nov 25  2020 server.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31574 Sep 30  2019 server.conf-bak
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35541 Oct 13 10:51 server.conf.dpkg-dist
glusr@HGS-77:~$ cat  /etc/graylog/server/node-id
9c892493-85b1-4a7d-a42e-0a88d2d93c7f

Hi @tmacgbay, good thoughts. I have to look into this one a little deeper before I follow up. My responses will be slow today, due to training. Still, I’ll assure you that I will follow up.

1 Like

I just tried the command specified on your documentation page. It seems like there is a problem with the quote character. didnt work for me, only ‘"’ which was used in the comment from this thread

1 Like