OpenWire TCP (Syslog) Fails to store Messages

I have SYSLOG Messages that are stored in ActiveMQ (aka ApacheMQ). I´ve managed to install the OpenWire Plugin in Graylog and Connect to the Message Queue. Messages are taken from the Queue, but stored nowhere.

In graylog logs I´ve found this entrys:

019-06-21T11:27:52.425-03:00 ERROR [ActiveMQMessageConsumer] ID:srvhZZZZ-43728-1561066133943-13:1:1:1 Exception while processing message: ID:srvhXXXX-44195-1551968170890-5:7:-1:1:15229
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQBytesMessage cannot be cast to javax.jms.TextMessage
at com.github.exabrial.graylog.OpenwireConsumer$2.onMessage(OpenwireConsumer.java:61) ~[graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQMessageConsumer.dispatch(ActiveMQMessageConsumer.java:1404) [graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQMessageConsumer.iterate(ActiveMQMessageConsumer.java:1575) [graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQSessionExecutor.iterate(ActiveMQSessionExecutor.java:191) [graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at org.apache.activemq.thread.PooledTaskRunner.runTask(PooledTaskRunner.java:133) [graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at org.apache.activemq.thread.PooledTaskRunner$1.run(PooledTaskRunner.java:48) [graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_212]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_212]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_212]

I´m not understanding how to fix this error

Did you checked if the plugin you have taken is compatible with your Graylog version?

My graylog server is 2.4.7. I´ve downloaded Graylog OpenWire Plugin from GITHUB. Version 1.0.1 of the plugin.

How can I test compatibility?

Andrés

as you did not include a link to the plugin - I can’t check. But most time the plugin author should wrote something about for what Graylog version that plugin is written for or tested with.

Hi !!!

I´m using the plugin published here: https://github.com/exabrial/graylog-plugin-openwire

Downloaded graylog-plugin-openwire-1.0.2.jar and installed in the plgins dir of my graylog install.

the author of this plugin does not share what version of Graylog this is written for … you should ask him on github.

I’ve contacted the author. He have just published an updated version of the plugin that solves the issue.

1 Like

thank you for that update!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.